Student Information Sheet

Student Information Sheet

Nutrition in Foodservice, Culinary and Food Systems

What is the Nutrition in Foodservice, Culinary and Food Systems undergraduate option?

With a need to focus on healthy people and healthy environments, this option in the Nutrition major strives to meet this interest. Students will gain culinary training with a focus on health in the context of providing food in institutions as well as retail and restaurants. In addition, the program will promote sustainable practices in quantity food operations.

Why is this program unique?

In addition to being a new approach to training culinary students, it is unique in being a shared degree program between OSU and Linn Benton Community College (LBCC). The culinary classes must be taken through LBCC, Culinary Arts program. All Nutrition and upper division courses must be taken at OSU. OSU admitted students can choose to do lower division/Baccalaureate Core at OSU and/or LBCC. Students will earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition.

How does the program work?

OSU students wishing to pursue this degree should apply for the Degree Partnership Program indicating OSU as their home (primary) institution and LBCC as their 2nd or 3rd school. They must declare the Nutrition major and meet with a PHHS advisor to declare the NFS option at OSU. NFS students in good standing are placed on a list for entry to the LBCC program for the following year, or a Waitlist depending on space available (12 per year).

LBCC students who have not attended classes at OSU must work through the program director at LBCC.

How does enrollment work?

If you enroll as a freshman, students will be spend one year at OSU and/or LBCC and then enroll at LBCC full-time during the second year of their degree to complete the culinary requirements;  transfer students will need to go to LBCC before they can enroll in OSU’s upper division Nutrition courses.

Is the program easy to get into?

There are only 12 slots each year for OSU students who plan to attend LBCC during their second year, so you must communicate with an OSU advisor. You will be put on a list for the following year and will be contacted in June regarding enrollment at LBCC. LBCC students who are already in the 1st year of the culinary program at LBCC and want to either finish their second year at LBCC or transfer directly to OSU for the following year should schedule an appointment with a PHHS advisor to enroll and plan their academic program.

What if I want to do the 2-year training at LBCC?

You can do this and you may be able to meet some of your OSU Baccalaureate Core (general education) classes while you are at LBCC.

What is the Degree Partnership Program?

The Degree Partnership Program allows students to take classes at both or or two different community colleges and OSU. Financial aid takes into account the differential tuition between the two institutions and disburses it to each accordingly. In addition, tuition at LBCC is less expensive so it will be a cost savings to dual enroll if you want to take an occasional class at OSU while you are at LBCC, or vice versa.

What is the Field Experience (NUTR 410)?

Most culinary or foodservice degrees require a hands-on field experience training in a foodservice operation. Eight hours of credit are required for the field experience and this translates into a total of 240 hours of time spent in the field experience site.

It is often an unpaid experience working in the field with pre-arranged, defined learning objectives. Students will have at least one objective/activity that includes modifying recipes and/or menus to provide or improve the healthiness of the offering. Or, students may develop a sustainable concept in a facility while they are working their field experience. Occasionally, students are fortunate to find field experiences that may also hire you for additional hours separate from the field experience.

How do I arrange field experience and when do I enroll in that?

Field experience is taken after or while you are enrolled in the senior level NUTR classes to best prepare you to apply your learning of management activities in foodservice. During the senior year at OSU, you will make arrangements with OSU Nutrition faculty to plan and arrange to complete that field experience.  Enrolling in NUTR 407, Seminar during the spring of your junior year sets the stage for starting field experience plans.

Is it easy to take classes at both OSU and LBCC during the year I am enrolled at LBCC for Culinary training?

It is possible but may not be easy to take many classes at OSU while you are enrolled in the LBCC culinary training year.  The classes meet every day from 7 AM to 2 PM, and any classes at OSU must be later in the day to allow for travel. We recommend taking one OSU class each term you are at LBCC.

You will enroll in NUTR 311 Quantity Food Production and Purchasing at OSU during the Spring term of the culinary training year at LBCC, and that OSU class is offered late in the afternoon to allow that.

Can I take more classes at LBCC other than the culinary training year?

Yes, you can enroll in general education and some of the transferable business courses.  Make sure that you plan those with an advisor to ensure that they will transfer.

What are the potential careers for this degree option?

Restaurant, School, Healthcare Or College And University Foodservice Director Or Manager; Farm To Table Coordinator; Sustainable Foodservice Consultant, Food, Equipment and Purchasing Sales or Consultant, Foodservice Purchasing Manager; Healthy Dining Consultant; and many other potential careers.


Todd Ketterman,
Director, LBCC Culinary Program, 541.917.4388
([email protected])

Neilann Horner, Ph.D., MPH, RD,
Director of the Nutrition Undergraduate Program
([email protected])