KIN 344 / 345 Pre-Therapy and Allied Health Practicum
Kinesiology undergrad program
Clinical observation in your area of health profession interest
This course provides you with field experiences under the supervision of a professional in the allied health or related setting. To enhance your learning experience, you'll also engage in class discussions about clinical experiences.
The purpose of the practicum experience is to provide the student with clinical observation in an area of interest within the allied health professions. The allied health profession includes but is not limited to areas such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, nursing and physician assistant.
The allied health practicum is available in three (3) levels of experiences. The first level of practicum is KIN 344 and is required for the Pre-Therapy/Allied Health (PTAH) Option in the Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy Tracks. Subsequently, you may take an additional term of practicum (KIN 345) to obtain additional hours of observation/volunteer experience.
- Junior or senior level student
- BI 231, BI 232, BI 233, BI 241, BI 242 and BI 243 (all with a “C” or better)
- Maintained at least a 2.5 GPA in all EXSS coursework
- Maintained at least a 2.25 GPA in all optional coursework (not including bac core)
- Overall GPA of 3.0
- Completed the KIN 344 application packet including...
- Copies of medical records documenting all immunizations
- Record of having been tested for Tuberculosis (TB) within the last calendar year. It must remain current throughout your affiliation time.
- Instructor and departmental approval is required
KIN 343 and KIN 344 are taken concurrently.
KIN 343 Pre-Therapy/Allied Health Seminar (also has an application form)
Those who wish to take KIN 344/345: Allied Health Practicum will be required to submit an application to the course instructor.
Once the application is received, it will be reviewed for prerequisites including coursework and GPA. If you meet the prerequisites AND there are clinical sites available, you will be notified by the program office that you are cleared to register for KIN 344. The course instructor must approve any new practicum experience prior to you beginning the experience.
The options for practicum will be communicated with you prior to the first day of class as well as discussed on the first day of class. Once you have been assigned a clinical affiliation, it is your responsibility to contact the site and the clinical supervisor to discuss schedules and determine the specific start date and arrange other specifics of your internship depending on the clinic’s availability and your other scheduled classes. Generally, clinical affiliation starts during weeks 1 and 2 of the term. Sites in Albany, Corvallis, Eugene, Lebanon, Philomath and Salem will be utilized.
It is MANDATORY that you attend the first week of classes so you will be adequately trained to begin your clinical affiliation during the second week of class. Be sure to schedule any travel to and from campus prior to the start of classes so that you will be in attendance on the first scheduled day of class.
If you are not in attendance the first week of class, you may be asked to withdraw.
- You are responsible for planning approximately 3-4 hours per week in the setting. This should be completed in no less than 2-3 hours at a time. Experiences of less than 2-3 hours are cumbersome for clinical staff and therefore if your schedule does not permit you to complete the practicum hours as requested, you should schedule an appointment with an academic advisor to determine which term is the best based on course load.
- You are expected to attend all sessions as scheduled, to dress and behave in a professional manner, and to show initiative in learning about the patients, professionals, treatments and unique features of the practicum site.
- Moreover, should you not be able to attend a scheduled session, it is your responsibility to make up the missed hours by the following week. As it is not the supervisor’s responsibility to allow you to fulfill the remaining hours at the end of the term.
- Your attendance should be logged at each practicum session and verified by the supervisor at the end of the term.
- It is expected that you will complete 30 hours of practicum experience during the term.
- More details about requirements can be found in the application packet.
In order to register for KIN 344/345: Allied Health Practicum, you must submit a completed application to the course instructor.
Those who wish to apply to take the Allied Health Practicum are required to have satisfied all prerequisite coursework.
Additionally, students must complete the KIN 344/345 Online Application.
You will be required to have completed all aspects of the application for consideration. Once complete, you will be admitted on a space-available basis.
There is also the option to email applications which require immunizations (for KIN 344) to the course instructor if you would rather complete the paper application (pdf).
Clinic placements should be available by the end of week 9.
Applications should be submitted via this Qualtrics form.
For winter term 2024
November 3, 2023
For spring term 2024
February 9, 2024
For fall term 2024
May 3, 2024