Practicums (KIN409) and Internships (KIN410) must be arranged two terms in advance for guaranteed placement in the course. Applications and site approvals must be completed by week 8 of each term, including summer term.

Due dates are as follows:

Fall Term (2020)

Application Opens: Friday of Week 4, July 18, 2020
Application Closes: Friday of Week 8, August 15, 2020

Winter Term

Application Opens: Friday of Week 4, October 18, 2019
Application Closes: Friday of Week 8, November 15, 2019

Spring Term

Application Opens: Friday of Week 4, January 31, 2020
Application Closes: Friday of Week 8, February 28, 2020

Summer Term

Application Opens: Friday of Week 4,  April 25, 2020
Application Closes: Friday of Week 8, May 22, 2020


What is “Experiential learning”?

In brief, experiential learning is students practicing skills and principles learned through instruction and personal experience in a controlled yet authentic environment outside of the university classroom including internships, practicum, projects and research with faculty, study abroad, and service learning. See “Experiential Learning in Kinesiology”.

Experiential learning at OSU, and for Kinesiology students, is guided by eight principles developed by the National Society for Experiential Education. Through intention, preparedness, authenticity, reflection, orientation and training, monitoring and continuous improvement, assessment and evaluation, and acknowledgement.

  For questions concerning experiential learning for kinesiology students, please contact Experiential Learning Coordinator: Slade Thackeray


How do I find a site?

First consider what skills you want to hone during your time in practicum or internship. Then search out and contact professionals in the settings of interest – this can and will include talking to individuals you do not know. Work closely with the Kinesiology Experiential Learning Coordinator to determine if the sites you are interested in are appropriate or if there are other opportunities available.


Can the experiential learning be paid?

In some cases internship sites offer paid internship, but this is not standard or expected. Practicums are not paid.


Can I use my job as experiential learning site?

Please contact the Kinesiology Experiential Learning Coordinator to discuss this request.


Can I use previous experiences?

No. One of the goals of the experiential learning requirement is that you utilize the knowledge and skills you have gained as part of your Kinesiology coursework.


What should I do when I contact a potential site supervisor or preceptor for the first time?

The number one rule is be professional! All correspondence should use professional titles, such as Dr. Smith, or Ms. Jones, or Mr. Edwards. Until they tell you to call them by their first name, use the appropriate prefix. If sending an email, start with Dear Dr. Smith or Hello Ms. Jones. “Hey” is not an appropriate salutation. End all correspondence with a professional closing, such as Sincerely or Respectfully yours.

Make sure you proofread carefully for spelling and grammar errors.

You should introduce yourself, briefly explain your background, inform them why you would like to gain experience with them or at their site, and tell them what skills you bring to their site (for example, hardworking, punctual, strong oral communicator or whatever skills you have).

Lastly you should ask if they have any opportunities available.


How are credit hours determined?

1 credit equals 30 hours of experience over the term, or about 3 hours per week. If you enroll in 9 credits that would require 270 hours in the term, or about 27 hours per week.


Course expectations (beyond the hours):

Students are expected maintain documents and fulfill assignments related to practicum or internship (i.e. hours worked, learning objectives, reflections, and a portfolio).

Students who are taking KIN 410 will also be expected to complete a final project in correlation with the mission and vision of their experiential learning site. More information and direction is included in the course syllabi.


How is the grade determined?

Grades are determined by evaluations from the site supervisors and by assignments graded by the Kinesiology Experiential Learning Coordinator associated with the given course. More information is outlined in the designated syllabi


How do I enroll in experiential learning?

First, meet with your academic advisor early to determine the experience you interested in pursuing. Second, contact the Kinesiology Experiential Learning Coordinator to obtain the required forms. You will not be registered until the forms are completed


Does my experience need to be the entire length of the term?

Yes. The goal of the experience is for you to observe the site over an extended period of time to see the fluctuations at the site. Also, the extended time allow you to complete the course assignments.


Can I start or end my experience early?

No. In certain cases this may be allowed, but you need to work with the Kinesiology Experiential Learning Coordinator to determine if possible.


What is the project?

Certain experiential learning courses require completion of a project. For example, KIN 410. What the project entails is up to you and your site supervisor. The goal of the project is that you are developing additional skills creating some form of work and also helping the site. Additionally, the project or an overview of the project will be included your final portfolio for the course and could be used for job or graduate school applications in the future. The project should be something you are capable of completing. Some examples of what students have done in the past is creating and hosting a fundraising or awareness event for the site, developing informational brochures and packets for the site, executing a project to streamline administrative tasks, completing a case report on an individual at the site such as a rehabilitation of an injury. Again these are just examples. The project you choose should be appropriate for your site.


IMPACT for Life

I want to obtain credit for volunteering for IMPACT for Life. Do I need to complete additional forms?

Yes, you will need to sign up as a volunteer for the program and attend the orientation to complete paperwork for registering for experiential learning credit. You can find a volunteer application at IMPACT for Life. You may also contact Dr. Jen Beamer for more information.


I want to earn credit for shadowing a teacher, what course do I need to enroll in?

Physical Education Teacher Education Practicum (KIN 353, 354, and 355). You should contact Dr. Jen Beamer regarding the appropriate steps to enroll. KIN 422 is a prerequisite course (it can be taken concurrently).


I am in the PTAH option. Who should I talk to about experiential learning?

Speak with your advisor first. Your advisor will direct you to the appropriate Experiential Learning Coordinator for the PTAH option.


I want to complete my internship at more than one site. Is this possible?

Students may not complete their internship at more than one site concurrently. However students may repeat practicum for up to 16 credits and internship up to 20 credits. Please work with your academic advisor and the Kinesiology Experiential Learning Coordinator to plan credit hours, if you will be doing more than one practicum or internship.