Human Development and Family Sciences

Undergraduate Program

Experience matters. We build on a 100-year-plus legacy of ensuring health and well-being for people across the lifespan — in the United States and beyond.

Be part of a rewarding career that empowers individuals, families and communities to survive and thrive.

In the HDFS program, you’ll address human development across the lifespan and gain the knowledge and skills you need to help improve the human condition. This may include intervening during crises, preventing future crises, helping people access resources, and advocating for changes in the systems that affect the lives of those in need. You can also focus on supporting young children and their families in early childhood settings.

Few careers offer as many opportunities to directly and profoundly impact lives. With an HDFS degree, you’ll be ready for professional work or graduate study in fields such as education, HDFS, social work or public administration.

View online course catalog for class requirements for all HDFS majors


HDFS undergraduate minor

The HDFS undergraduate minor complements other academic degrees such as education, public health, psychology, sociology and allied health sciences.


Hey, Portland!

We're bringing our top-ranked online bachelor’s program in Human Development and Family Sciences to PDX starting this fall. Check out our HDFS degree in Portland.


Internship Program

Strengthen your professional skills through hands-on, learn-by-doing experiences. Through an internship, you earn college credit for practical experience in the workplace.


Head of the class

If your GPA is over 3.75 (3.5 for current Oregon State students and transfer students), you’re eligible to earn your degree through the Honors College. This prestigious option means you get more faculty support and the opportunity for undergraduate research. It also gives you a leg up with future employers and graduate programs. Curious about how this works? Visit the Honors College to learn more.


Career Options

*Additional Teacher Licensure required

  • Adoption agency counselor
  • Activity director
  • Caseworker
  • Childcare coordinator
  • Crisis intervention worker
  • Early childhood policy advocate
  • Extension educator
  • Elementary educator
  • Elementary teacher*
  • Emergency relief worker
  • Family support worker
  • Foster care caseworker
  • Hospice worker
  • Housing service coordinator
  • International relief worker
  • Marriage and family counseling
  • Parent educator
  • Preschool or childcare teacher
  • Senior advocate
  • Social caseworker
  • Volunteer coordinator
  • Youth development specialist