OPEC Professional Development System
Oregon Parenting Education Collaborative
Professional Development, Recognition, and more
About the OPEC Professional Development System
The OPEC Professional Development System is a free online system for parenting education professionals, maintained by OPEC. Here is where you can:
- Register for OPEC Training Academy workshops and events
- View past recordings and training resources
- Access your certificates and training hours for OPEC Trainings
- Apply for a parenting educator recognition award, and
- View the directory and job board.
For questions regarding your OPEC Professional Development Account, please contact [email protected]
Development of the OPEC Recognition System Development has been a collaborative effort across OPEC, Oregon State University and other early childhood sectors. The system supports and aligns with Oregon’s Core Knowledge and Skills for Parenting Educators as well as the Core Knowledge Categories for Oregon’s early learning profession (ORO) and the Oregon Core Competencies for Home Visitors
By building your portfolio of your training records, the Professional Development System will track your progress toward reaching recognition and an invitation for one of the five recognition designations will appear when you are eligible.
There are 5 levels of Parenting Educator Recognition:
- Peer Parenting Educator
- Parenting Educator 1
- Parenting Educator 2
- Parenting Educator 3
- Parenting Educator 4
Each recognition has specific criteria for educational requirements, college credit/relevant training, and parenting education work experience. Learn more about these requirements here:
Recognition is Valuable
Recognition demonstrates to employers and organizations that parenting education is a professional field. Engaging in the recognition process also connects you to the rich professional development resources available to parent educators and helps create a community of learners. Parenting education is a necessary field that supports families and their children.
1. Create an account on the OPEC Professional Development System and complete your profile.
2. Create education, training, and experience records. The free OPEC Training Academy workshops all count towards recognition!
3. Complete the other required items, including the completion of Oregon State's Essentials of Parenting Education course, active membership in a professional network or association, and the completion of our Code of Ethics.
4. Create and submit an application when criteria is reached. There is a $60 application fee.
Contact OPEC at [email protected]