Statement on Collegiality
Collegiality is important for our college – in terms of our relationships with each other, our ability to get our work done, our creation of a positive environment and culture for work and learning, and our role modeling of professional behavior for our students. All faculty, staff and students are expected to be collegial members of the College of Health community.
In our strategic plan, the college has set the goal to create a culture of health that promotes equity, inclusion and social justice. In doing so, we will foster a participative, collaborative and supportive work climate. Collegiality is about treating one another with respect and mutual support.
The following principles and practices exemplify collegiality and serve to guide the behavior of college faculty and staff, regardless of position, rank or scope of work.
- We align our work with the mission of the college; our personal energies are focused on the common good.
- We recognize and ensure that equity, inclusion and diversity are central tenets of our mission.
- We share responsibility for our college’s success.
- We hold ourselves accountable to our values.
- We work together to use shared resources for the betterment of all.
- We invite collaboration.
- We value transparency and sharing information.
- We are open to conversations about what doesn’t work.
- We address areas in need of improvement.
- We are authentic in our words and actions.
- We take responsibility for our actions.
- We keep our commitments to each other.
- We actively participate.
- We celebrate creativity and novel ideas.
- We recognize shared human experiences.
- We are supportive and helpful.
- We are kind to ourselves and others.
- We are on each other’s side.
- We acknowledge and appreciate each other.
- We seek and appreciate varying perspectives.
- We respect each other in our actions and words.
- We are honest in our communications with each other.
- We listen respectfully and generously.
- We recognize that we are responsible for our effect on each other, the university, Oregon and beyond.
- We value healthy relationships with all colleagues.
- We respect a healthy work-life balance.
- We have fun together.