How does S/U grading work?

This FAQ is for

How does S/U grading work?

  • Students may elect to change a course graded on an A-F basis to a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) basis.
  • A grade of S or U has no grade point equivalent and is not used in the GPA calculation.
  • Instructors do not know which students have changed their grading basis, and submit A-F grades for everyone at the end of the term.
  • Students earning a C- or higher in the class will get an S grade on their transcript and receive full credit for the course.
  • Students earning a D+ or lower in the class will get a U grade on their transcript and receive no credit for the course.

While major/minor courses typically require a C- or above, Baccalaureate Core and elective courses only require a D- or above. Students who elect S/U grading basis will have a U on their transcript if they earn a grade below a C.

Therefore, if a student earning a D+, D, or D- in a Baccalaureate Core or elective course and chose to S/U the course, the course would NOT apply to the degree and the course would need to be repeated, or the student would need to take a different course to fulfill their degree requirement.

More information in Academic Regulation 18: Alternative Grading Systems.

See the Office of the Registrar’s Change of Grading Basis for more S/U information and to learn how to request the S/U grading option.

Also see

Last Modified
Dec. 15, 2022