Program on Gerontology
The Program on Gerontology at Oregon State University began in 1972 and continues as a comprehensive gerontology program. It is administered through Human Development and Family Sciences in the School of Social and Behavioral Health Sciences with the participation of several schools, colleges, and departments in the University. Additional support has been received from private foundations and the U.S. Administration on Aging.
The program offers multidisciplinary course work in gerontology to both undergraduate and graduate students and provides:
- Preparation for work with older adults as a specialty within a professional area, such as human services, health care, counseling, nutrition, pharmacy, and others
- Preparation for careers in aging programs (e.g., senior centers, area agencies on aging, long-term care facilities, and others)
- General education for personal growth and understanding
- Stimulation of faculty and student research in gerontology
- Community and continuing education in gerontology.
Undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the Program on Gerontology represent many disciplines: dietetics, exercise and sport science, housing, human development and family sciences, health care administration, pharmacy, philosophy, public health, premedicine, preoptometry, psychology, sociology, and others.
Gerontology courses meet many departmental requirements, including general education and social science requirements. Gerontology, as an area of emphasis, is integrated into undergraduate degree programs in human development and family science, exercise and sport science, and health care administration.
- Graduate Studies in Gerontology
- Undergraduate Studies in Gerontology
- Gerontology Certificate Requirements
- Gerontology Course Descriptions
- PHHS Gerontology Faculty Directory
- Non-PHHS Gerontology Faculty Directory
- Petersen Visiting Scholar Award in Gerontology and Family Studies
- Annual OSU Gerontology Conference
GSA 2014 Annual Scientific Meeting, Washington D.C., Nov. 5-9, 2014
The Program on Gerontology is located on the campus of Oregon State University in Corvallis.
The Director of the Program is Carolyn Aldwin, PhD
The program can be reached by phone at (541)737-4765
by fax at (541)737-1076
or at email@example.com
- School of Biological and Population Health Sciences
- School of Social and Behavioral Health Sciences