Oregon Parenting Education Week
Of all the things that influence a child’s growth and development, the most critical is reliable, responsive, and sensitive parenting. Effective parenting education programs have been linked with decreased rates of child abuse and neglect, better physical, cognitive and emotional development in children, and increased parental knowledge of child development and parenting skills.
2016 Oregon Parenting Educators Conference
Oregon Parenting Education Week will be May 16 - 20, 2016. As a part of the celebration, the Hallie E. Ford Center for Healthy Children & Families and the Oregon Parenting Education Collaborative will host the third annual, one day Parenting Educators Conference for professionals who work with families. The conference will be on Monday, May 16th at the LaSells Stewart Center on the campus of Oregon State University.
Help us spread the word about this professional development opportunity by sharing one or both of our official marketing tools with friends and colleagues: the conference poster and save the date postcard.
For your convenience, we have listed below links to frequently requested information:
Monday, May 16th
CH2M Hill Alumni and LaSells Stewart Centers, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
Ellen Galinsky, President and Co-Founder of Families and Worker Institute (FWI) will be joining us as the keynote speaker for the 2016 Oregon Parenting Educators Conference. Ellen helped establish the field of work and family life during the time she was at Bank Street College of Education, where she was on the faculty for 25 years. Her more than 100 books and reports include the best-selling Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills Every Child Needs, Ask the Children, and the now class The Six Stages of Parenthood. She has published over 300 articles in journals, books, and magazines.
Ellen's keynote presentation will be focused on Mind in the Making (MITM) which has gone beyond a book, becoming a national educational movement. MITM is now a national initiative to share scientifically based research and applicable strategies for promoting life skills in communities across the country.
Learn more about Ellen and the Families and Work Institute by visiting the FWI website.
Review the conference packet to make your workshop selections. Online registration opens on March 14th. You will be prompted to set up a registration account prior to completing the conference registration, click this link to register: http://bit.ly/2016PEConference.
$95 Early Bird (by May 2nd)
$115 (after May 2nd)
A variety of workshops will be offered for every experience level on topics such as attachment, self-care, dual language learning, social/emotional development, parenting strategies, facilitation skills, professional practice, and more! English to Spanish simultaneous interpretation will be available for select workshops.
Please review the 2016 Conference Packet for a full schedule and list of workshops and their descriptions.
Limit one discount code per registration. Codes must be applied by May 2nd (5:00 pm PST)
- OrPEN members: Receive 25% off early bird rate.
- Contact Kim Deck at firstname.lastname@example.org for code
- Group rate: Receive $10.00 off each registration for a group of 10 or more individuals from the same agency.
- All 10+ members of the group must apply the group rate as their discount code of choice during registration
- Members of the group will all register individually to make their own workshop selections
- Agencies may pay for group registrations in one payment by invoice.
- Contact Conference Services for information and registration code at email@example.com
- Home visitor scholarship: Receive 25% off early bird rate.
- Scholarships available on a first come basis up to May 2.
- Individuals must currently work at least 20 hours per week for a home visiting program in Oregon serving prenatal to five year old children and their families with the primary service delivery method being home visiting.
- Contact Annette Dieker at Annette.firstname.lastname@example.org for code
- Sponsored by Maternal Child Health – Maternal Infant and Early Childhood Home Visiting
The below hotels have a limited number of rooms available at the conference rate for May 15th and 16th.
- Hilton Garden Inn, 2500 SW Western Blvd., 541-286-9821
Conference rates are $117.00 for either a single or double room. Reservations must be made by April 15th to receive the discounted rate. Refer to "OPEC 2016" when making the reservation. This hotel is located within walking distance from the Alumni Center. For more information about the hotel visit the Corvallis HGI website.
- Holiday Inn Express, 781 NE Second St., 541-752-0800.
Conference rates are $105.00 - $115.00 for either a king or double queen (price varies depending on whether the room is located facing the river or road). Reservations must be made by May 1st to receive the discounted rate. Refer to the "OSU Parent Ed Conference" when placing your reservation.
For more information about the hotel visit www.Holidayinnexpress.com/corvallisor.
Please contact Kim Deck by email (Kim.Deck@oregonstate.edu).
Previous Oregon Parenting Education Week content
Be sure to watch all the video and read all the articles from past years.
The Hallie Ford Center for Healthy Children and Families promotes the development and well being of children, youth, and families by generating, translating, and sharing research-based knowledge. The Oregon Parenting Education Collaborative (OPEC) supports delivery of high quality parenting education programs and collaborative efforts to strengthen regional parenting education systems. OPEC is a partnership of four of Oregon’s largest foundations (The Oregon Community Foundation, The Ford Family Foundation, The Meyer Memorial Trust and The Collins Foundation) and Oregon State University.
- Center for Global Health
- Center for Healthy Aging Research
- Hallie E. Ford Center for Healthy Children & Families
- About the Center
- Center Leadership
- Research Cores
- Featured Researchers
- Featured Students
- Oregon Parenting Education
- Family Impact Seminar Series
- Campbell Lecture Series
- Affiliated Institutes, Centers, and Programs
- Resources for You
- News and Press
- Donate to the Hallie E. Ford Center
- Contact the Center
- Moore Family Center for Whole Grain Foods, Nutrition and Preventive Health