Coaching for Youth Programs
Experiential learning opportunity
Develop skills applicable to working with youth in sport and recreation, including written and oral communication, project and lesson management, and planning and organizing youth sports.
- Oral/written communication
- Professionalism/work ethic
Check class schedule for times/locations.
- Define Positive Youth Development (PYD) and identify the components and positive outcomes of a successful PYD program
- Understand how to foster PYD when working with diverse populations and learners
- Demonstrate knowledge of classroom management and communication practices for working with youth
- Become familiar with the essential aspects of culture in a PYD program using OSU KidSpirit as a model
- Develop a lesson with activities appropriate to coaching a variety of recreational sports for a variety of age groups
- Demonstrate knowledge of the components of a quality lesson and how to evaluate student progress within a lesson
Content / knowledge / concepts
- What PYD Programs are and why they matter,
- the essential components of a PYD program,
- and the culture of a PYD program focusing especially on the cultural aspects of OSU KidSpirit.
- In addition, how to work with diverse learners and with different learning styles,
- structuring a lesson and lesson planning,
- evaluating student progress,
- how to develop and strengthen your growth mindset,
- strategies for building relationships with youth,
- assertive communication and feedback,
- and classroom management techniques.
- Working with children
- Designing a lesson plan
- Physical activities to emphasize course concepts
- Working collaboratively on projects to demonstrate knowledge of concepts
- Evaluating student progress
- Discussion entries
- Short assignments
- Group presentations
- Course evaluation
Kinesiology and public health students will sign up for PAC 299 COACHING FOR YOUTH PROGRAMS