1. What do I tell an internship site if they want information about the internship and internship process?

You can either direct them to the Information for Preceptors website or provide them with the following document, depending on if you are an undergraduate or graduate student.

Information for hosting an undergraduate Public Health intern (pdf)

Information for hosting a MPH Public Health intern (pdf)

2. How do I know if an internship site would be acceptable?


Please see the Internship Requirements section of the H410 website. The activities must fit with the ones listed on Form A, page 3, for your specific option, HMP, HPHP or EOH. Internships that do not count for H410 include internships that are clinical (working directly on patients), individual (not community based) faculty research focused, firefighting/EMT, telecommuting, door to door soliciting, or coaching, athletic training/kinesiology focused.

MPH students:

Internships must fit with the MPH competencies listed in the MPH Internship handbook. Examples of portfolio products may include (depending on the track): conduct an evaluation and write a report of the results, conduct a needs assessment and write a report of the results, analyze data in order to assemble training manuals for field workers, incorporating social, cultural, and environmental components, design and deliver health communication messages/campaign, conduct focus groups around a research question and analyze results and report findings, develop and implement a health program, solicit and integrate input from community stakeholders.

3. How many hours do I need to fulfill the Internship Requirement?


A total of 360 hours are required for the HMP or HPHB option, which can be completed in one term for 12 credits, or two terms with approximately 180 hours each term, 6 credits each term. For the revised EOH minor, it is 9 credits, 270 hours.

MPH students:

The internship is 200 hours, 6 credits, 10 weeks OR 100 hours, two 10 week terms, 3 credits/term.

4. I already did my internship but I still need credits, can I do another internship?


Yes! You as long as you are not a double option (HMP and HPHB) or have the ESH/EOH minor.  H410 can be taken for up to 24 credits.  If you have done your required 12 credit internship and need upper division credits, you can do another 12 credit H410 or you can do a 6 credit H410.

MPH students:

Please see your faculty advisor.  In most cases a H509, practicum, with your faculty advisor, can be an option.

5. When can I do my internship?


You can complete your internship Fall, Winter, Spring or Summer after the prerequisites are met.  For HMP, it is H407 and H436.  For H476, it is H407 and H476. For EOH, it is H407 and H480.

Students can complete their internship Fall, Winter, Spring or Summer terms. Internships can be local, statewide, national or international International internships must go through the IE3 Office on campus: http://ie3global.org/school/oregon-state-university/

MPH Students:

Students can complete their internship Fall, Winter, Spring or Summer terms. Internships can be local, statewide, national or international International internships must go through the IE3 Office on campus: http://ie3global.org/school/oregon-state-university/

H510 is encouraged to be completed at the end of the second year.  Please see your faculty advisor for their recommendation, according to the track specific handbook.

6.  I am a double option undergraduate, HMP and HPHB, do I have to do two separate internships?

No, you would complete one and a half internships, for 18 credits and 540 hours.  This would be done over two terms, and would incorporate both HMP and HPHB competencies from Form C.

7. I am HPHB or HMP undergraduate and I have an ESH/EOH minor, do I have to do two separate internships? 

Yes, you need to do two separate internships, one that satisfies the HMP or HPHB project requirements and one that satisfies the ESH/EOH project requirements.

8. How do I get an override and register?


Overrides for domestic internships are provided after Form A is submitted. You cannot register for domestic internships, H410,  without following this process.  If you are doing an IE3 internship, you still submit Form A by the deadline, but IE3 registers you.  

  1. Email Form A to Karen Elliott Karen.Elliott@oregonstate.edu by the deadline.
  2. You will receive a reply email saying the override will be processed and wait approximately 48 hours before going online to register.
  3. Wait 48 hours from emailing Form A and then go online to register for H410.
  4. Search for the CRN for H410 and the correct section (HPHB, HMP, ESH/EOH) using the OSU course catalog
  5. Change the 1 credit to 6 or 12 credits
  6. You have up until the first week of the term that you are doing your internship, to register, please just check with the Registrar's Office regarding late fee dates.  Late registration after week 1 will  only be approved at the discretion of the Internship Coordinator.
  7. When you are attempting to register, if you receive an error message, please double check the CRN and section using the course catalog.
  8. Please note: We do not have student PINs, you have to contact your academic advisor directly to receive your PIN.

MPH students:

Apply and/or contact sites with resume/cover letter, then interview and secure a site.  BE EARLY AND PROACTIVE!  See the MPH Internship Coordinator too! Once you have secured an internship, email the MPH Internship Coordinator your completed Application and Learning Contract from the H510 website (in the handbook) by Friday of Week 10, the term before, to get an override to then register for H510.

9. When can I start and finish my internship?

The official start date of an internship is the first day of the academic term, and the end date is Tuesday of Finals Week for undergraduates and Friday of Dead Week for MPH students.  There is the option to start early, before the start of the term, as long as you are registered for H410.  All due dates follow the academic calendar.

10. If I am doing an International Internship through IE3, who signs my Form ?

Your IE3 Advisor can sign your Form  to submit it by the deadline before the internship term. 

11.  How do I submit the paperwork?

All Forms except the initial form are submitted by directly uploading them to Canvas.

12. I am splitting my internship between two terms, what paperwork do I need to complete?


All of the paperwork is duplicated for each internship term.  If you are staying in the same site, and your preceptor has not changed, you do not need to submit a new Form A.

MPH students:

For the first term, you do the biweekly discussions in Canvas and turn in the Midway report Friday of Week 10.

For the second term, you don't do the biweekly discussions and turn in the Internship Summary, Portfolio, Hour Log and Evaluation by Friday of Week 10.

13. How can I pick up extra hours as an undergraduate completing my internship?

There are optional assignments in the portfolio template that you can complete for extra hours.  These are submitted by Tuesday of Finals Week.  Opportunities should be free to the student.  Please see the portfolio for specific instructions. Some specific examples of professional development to count as extra hours include:

  • Free webinars from credible sources, including the CDC webinars and APHA webinars.
  • American College of Healthcare Executives Online Webinars and Seminars.
  • Identify free/low cost workshops, trainings, conferences, etc. to attend.
  • Informational interviews and/or job shadows.
  • Attend meetings, committee meetings, etc.
  • Read Leadership/Professional Development books.
  • Revise the internship portfolio to be a professional showcase of your academic career.  This can include expanding on sections, including past course examples, changing the visual appearance and even making it a digital portfolio.  This could include seeking out on campus resources to learn new software, programming, and technical skills.
14. Can I count my job or previous experiences as my internship?

The internship must be separate from a current job, with separate projects, hours and preferably a separate supervisor.

Past experiences cannot be counted for the internship.  You must be registered for the term you plan to complete your internship to receive credit.

15. My professor has a great project or research, can I do my internship with them?

Internships have to be with community partners or campus centers such as Student Health Services, CAPS or HSRC.  Working with faculty (not extension in the community) would be considered more individualized work that would count as a project or a practicum. 

16. Why do I have to be done by Finals Week?  Can I finish my internship after the term and take an Incomplete?

All requirements need to be submitted by  Finals Week in order to submit a grade and finalize the graduation application process.  If you take an incomplete, note that you would need to change your graduation term to the next term, and change your graduation application.

17. If I finish my internship early, can I request that my grade be entered in early, so I can get my diploma early?

Please contact the Office of the Registrar if you need proof of graduation early.