TitleAssociations between residential proximity to oil and gas extraction and hypertensive conditions during pregnancy: a difference-in-differences analysis in Texas, 1996-2009.
Publication TypeJournal Article
Year of Publication2021
AuthorsWillis, MD, Hill, EL, Kile, ML, Carozza, S, Hystad, P
JournalInt J Epidemiol
Date Published12/2021

BACKGROUND: Oil and gas extraction produces air pollutants that are associated with increased risks of hypertension. To date, no study has examined residential proximity to oil and gas extraction and hypertensive conditions during pregnancy. This study quantifies associations between residential proximity to oil and gas development on gestational hypertension and eclampsia.

METHODS: We utilized a population-based retrospective birth cohort in Texas (1996-2009), where mothers reside <10 km from an active or future drilling site (n = 2 845 144.) Using full-address data, we linked each maternal residence at delivery to assign exposure and evaluate this exposure with respect to gestational hypertension and eclampsia. In a difference-in-differences framework, we model the interaction between maternal health before (unexposed) or after (exposed) the start of drilling activity (exposed) and residential proximity near (0-1, >1-2 or >2-3 km) or far (≥3-10 km) from an active or future drilling site.

RESULTS: Among pregnant women residing 0-1 km from an active oil or gas extraction site, we estimate 5% increased odds of gestational hypertension [95% confidence interval (CI): 1.00, 1.10] and 26% increased odds of eclampsia (95% CI: 1.05, 1.51) in adjusted models. This association dissipates in the 1- to 3-km buffer zones. In restricted models, we find elevated odds ratios among maternal ages ≤35 years at delivery, maternal non-Hispanic White race, ≥30 lbs gained during pregnancy, nulliparous mothers and maternal educational attainment beyond high school.

CONCLUSIONS: Living within 1 km of an oil or gas extraction site during pregnancy is associated with increased odds of hypertensive conditions during pregnancy.

Alternate JournalInt J Epidemiol
PubMed ID34897479
Grant ListF31 ES029801 / ES / NIEHS NIH HHS / United States
TL1 TR002371 / TR / NCATS NIH HHS / United States
DP5 OD021338 / CD / ODCDC CDC HHS / United States