TitleAssociation of 10-Year C-Reactive Protein Trajectories With Markers of Healthy Aging: Findings From the English Longitudinal Study of Aging.
Publication TypeJournal Article
Year of Publication2019
AuthorsLassale, C, Batty, GD, Steptoe, A, Cadar, D, Akbaraly, TN, Kivimäki, M, Zaninotto, P
JournalJ Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci
Volume74
Issue2
Pagination195-203
Date Published01/2019
ISSN1758-535X
Abstract
 

Background: Elevated systematic inflammation is a hallmark of aging, but the association of long-term inflammation trajectories with subsequent aging phenotypes has been little examined. We assessed inflammatory marker C-reactive protein (CRP) repeatedly over time and examined whether long-term changes predicted aging outcomes.

Methods: A total of 2,437 men and women aged 47-87 years at baseline (1998-2001) who were participants in the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing had CRP measured on two or three occasions between 1998 and 2009. Inflammation trajectories were computed using latent-class growth mixture modeling and were related to aging outcomes measured in 2012/2013: physical functioning, cardiometabolic, respiratory, mental health, and a composite "healthy aging" outcome.

Results: Four CRP trajectories were identified as follows: "stable-low" (71 per cent of the sample) with baseline mean 1.33 mg/L remaining <3 mg/L; "medium-to-high" (14 per cent) with baseline 2.7 mg/L rising to 5.3 mg/L; "high-to-medium" (10 per cent) with baseline 6.6 mg/L decreasing to 2.4 mg/L; and "stable-high" (5 per cent) with levels from 5.7 to 7.5 mg/L. Relative to the stable-low trajectory, individuals in the medium-to-high had a higher risk of limitations in basic activities of daily living (ADL, odds ratio; 95% confidence interval: 2.09; 1.51, 2.88), instrumental ADL (1.62; 1.15, 2.30), impaired balance (1.59; 1.20, 2.11) and walking speed (1.61; 1.15, 2.24), arthritis (1.55; 1.16, 2.06), hypertension (1.57; 1.21, 2.04), obesity (1.95; 1.36, 2.80), poor respiratory function (1.84; 1.36, 2.50), and depression (1.55; 1.13, 2.12). A lower odds of healthy aging was observed in people in the medium-to-high (0.57; 0.40, 0.79) and stable-high (0.50; 0.27, 0.91) trajectories.

Conclusions: Older people who displayed an elevation in CRP levels over a decade experienced an increased risk of adverse aging outcomes.

DOI10.1093/gerona/gly028
Alternate JournalJ. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci.
PubMed ID29462285
PubMed Central IDPMC6333942
Grant ListMR/K013351/1 / / Medical Research Council / United Kingdom
R01 AG017644 / AG / NIA NIH HHS / United States