Lifetime Fitness for Health | HHS 231
This baccalaureate core course is designed to encourage personal awareness and responsibility for the maintenance of health and physical well being. Through lectures and lab experiences students will expand their knowledge of health and wellness. The section, meeting time, location and instructor for any HHS courses you have enrolled in can be found by logging into Blackboard
Be sure to read how HHS 231 is Revamping health education to better meet students’ needs
Lab Times & Instructors
Lab times and instructors are in the OSU General Catalog and Schedule of Classes' listing for HHS 241.
The HHS 231 Resource Guide contains campus resources for students relating to nutrition, physical activity and stress management.
Final Exam | There is no Final Exam for the HHS 241 lab. If you are registered concurrently with HHS 231, refer to its syllabi for the Final Exam time or to the OSU General Catalog and Schedule of Classes listings for Group Final Exam times - Only those students who have a conflict with another exam will be allowed to reschedule the exam time for HHS 231.
Special Examination for Waiver or Credit
A Special Exam for Waiver or Credit (Special Exam) is offered for those students who wish to demonstrate their understanding of the material covered in the course in place of taking the entire course of lectures and labs. Those who wish to take the Special Exam must submit a Petition for Approval form to the Registrar's Office.
There is an $80 fee for taking the Special Exam (refer to Academic Regulations 23 or 24 in your Schedule of Classes).
- Successfully completing the Special Exam will satisfy the three-credit Fitness requirement in the Baccalaureate Core. If you take the exam for credit and pass, you will get credit for both HHS 231 (2 credits) and HHS 241 (1 credit).
- You can take the Special Exam one time only. You cannot take the Special Exam if you have previously taken the HHS 231 lecture and/or HHS 241 lab courses.
- You cannot take the Special Exam if you are enrolled in the course. Therefore, if you are enrolled in the course, you must drop both HHS 231 and any HHS lab. You will be assessed the percentage of the tuition owed at this time.
- If you elect to take the Special Exam, you must file your petition for Approval form at the Registrar's Office by 5:00 PM on the third Friday of Fall, Winter or Spring term. - When you receive approval to take the exam, the $80 fee will be assessed to your account.
- The Special Exam is scheduled for Spring Term 2014
Wednesday, April 23th
7-9pm in MCC 201 (map)
- On exam day, you must bring:
- Your Student ID card
- A calculator
- The Special Exam is a 2-hour exam. There will be 60 multiple-choice questions worth (120 points) and 20 true/false questions (worth 20 points), for a total of 140 points.
- You are responsible for all the material covered in the textbooks, lecture, and labs. Textbooks for HHS 231 are available at Oregon State University Valley Library Reserve Desk. Be sure to study the textbook to prepare for the exam. If you have any questions, please contact Brian Souza | Special Exam Coordinator | (541) 737-9849.