Kinesiology (formerly Exercise and Sport Science)
Physical activity is essential to good health, disease prevention and increasing human performance, and our popular and nationally recognized programs will help you be a leader in improving quality of life through safe exercise and organized sport.
Whether you want to be a physical education teacher, personal trainer or administrator for a professional sports team, we provide the theory and practical application for you to excel in a number of fitness careers.
Overview of Kinesiology Major
The Kinesiology major prepares students for careers in physical activity and fitness/wellness such as organizing, directing or managing physical fitness programs; personal trainer; fitness instructor; exercise physiologist; strength and fitness coach; and fitness entrepreneur.
The degree can also serve as preparation for applications to a master's level physical education teacher education program, medical school, a professional program in the allied health professions (e.g. physical or occupational therapy, nursing, physician assistant) or other graduate education.
- Visit Undergraduate Academic Advising to pursue this program.
- View the OSU Catalog listing of the Kinesiology undergraduate degree requirements.
- View the OSU Catalog listing of the Kinesiology undergraduate courses.
- Use the Kinesiology Advising Guides for Professional Career Preparation to plan your program of study in consultation with an advisor.
- Use an Major sheet (pdf) to track your progress in completing course requirements.
- Schedule an advising appointment.
Pre-Therapy and Allied Health
Students interested in entry into professional schools of physical or occupational therapy, nursing, medical school, or physicians’ assistant should take the Pre-Therapy and Allied Health (PTAH) option of the Kinesiology major, which has entry standards that must be met after completion of 90 credits.
*May require post-baccalaureate/graduate/professional education to qualify or certify for employment.
- Clinical exercise physiologist*
- Club or corporate fitness instructor
- Fitness entrepreneur
- Fitness program director
- Occupational therapist*
- Personal trainer
- Physical education teacher*
- Physical therapist*
- Physical therapy aide
- Physician assistant*
- Research and education*
- Special educator*
- Specialized careers in exercise, fitness, health and athletic fields
- Strength coach
- Strength physiologist*
- Wellness/prevention program coordinator