Also try...

Be sure to also check the Advising FAQ.


FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)

Advisors are restricted by Federal Law (Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act) from releasing any information about a student’s class schedule, grades, transcripts, advising checklist, or other specific information to a third party (outside of OSU) without written permission from the student. Faculty/staff (pdf) are able to access student records as needed to fulfill one’s employment responsibilities; there must be a “legitimate educational interest,” which generally entails working directly with the student for whom information was requested. Access to student information does not permit disclosure of information to a third party without a student’s written permission. The Permission to Release Education Records form may be obtained through the Advising Office or from the Access to Records page on the Registrar's website. This form must be in the student’s file to allow any information to be released. For more information please contact the Office of the Registrar at 541-737-4331.


Maximum Retake Policy

No more than TWO graded attempts are allowed to meet minimum grade policy for courses in CPHHS majors, minors, or options. No third attempts from OSU or transferred in from other institutions are allowed.

Second graded attempts should be retaken where they were taken originally.


Minimum Grade Policy

A grade of C– or higher is required for all courses in a student’s undergraduate program of study.

This includes all courses and associated Prerequisite courses in a student's undergraduate program of study for a major, minor or certificate as listed in the online course catalog.
Some programs have additional grade and/or GPA criteria, which must be met in addition to this grade policy.
Baccalaureate Core courses are not subject to this policy unless they serve as courses required in or prerequisites fora  student's major, minor, or certificate.
Effective calendar year 2017-2018

The College of Public Health and Human Sciences does not accept third-course attempts either at the university or transferred in from other institutions to meet individual course requirements within any major effective Fall term 2014.

Third or subsequent attempts taken prior to Fall term 2014 may be considered to meet major program of study requirements. The Exercise and Sport Science and Athletic Training majors stopped allowing third or subsequent course attempts effective Fall term 2013.


PHHS S/U Policy

Students with majors and/or minors in CPHHS may not use S/U grading any required course. Students may, however, use S/U grading for Bacc Core classes and electives (including courses offered by their major or minor department), if not required for the major or minor.


Academic Fresh Start Policy

Undergraduate students may petition once with the Registrar to exclude OSU courses from the calculation of institutional requirements, credits, and grade point average, under a condition of the academic fresh start policy.


Student Grievance and Complaint Policy

If you feel you have been treated unfairly or do not agree with a decision that has been made by a member of the faculty or staff, you may file a grievance or register a complaint by completing the Grievance and Complaint Form (docx).

However you are encouraged to follow the steps below to resolve the situation prior taking formal action.

1) Discuss your concern with the person directly responsible for the action if possible and appropriate. If this step does not resolve the situation, then progress to the next step.

2) Make an appointment to meet with the other party’s supervisor to discuss your concern. If no resolution is found after step two, you may choose to initiate a formal grievance or complaint by completing the “Grievance and Complaint” form.

The Grievance and Complaint form should be returned to the College office (WB 123). The case will be assigned to the appropriate administrator depending on the nature of the situation.  You will be notified, by email; the name of the person assigned your case.

If you continue to have a concern after receiving the administrator’s disposition, you may ask that your complaint be moved to the next level of administration appropriate for the specific case. 

If there is another level (appropriate for your case, e.g. Dean) in the College, that individual will review the materials and also may ask to meet you directly.

If you have any concerns after completing the previous steps within the College, you may request that your case be reviewed at the University level.